Thursday, 28 November 2013

Nov 28th 2013 Contentment - why? how?

A recent blog post from www.ibenedictines.org

http://www.ibenedictines.org/2013/11/28/the-art-of-contentment/ 

had a bit of a resonance with what I was thinking about on the way to work this morning.

I'm not going to go into great details. You might already know that I have an auto-immune condition called systemic sclerosis. You might know that I am lucky enough that it causes no pain, that although it slows me down (my heart and lungs are affected) I can still work and get about.

The most inconvenient things are that I have to take all kinds of different pills, have supplementary oxygen at night, and also if I travel by air, but these are not an insurmountable barriers to happiness.

The most important thing is that I have a wonderful family.

I have learned to be content.

I just remember this, from St John's Gospel chapter 10;

9"I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. 10"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.

The underlined words came into my head when I was first wrestling with the diagnosis, back in 2001, and have stayed with me ever since.


No comments:

Post a Comment